ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 host countryWhich country will host ICC Cricket World Cup 2023: As the 2019 World Cup comes to a close, it’s time to wind the clock once again and wait 4 more years for the next edition of the sport’s biggest event.advertisement Next India Today Web Desk New DelhiJuly 12, 2019UPDATED: July 12, 2019 21:46 IST Which country will host the 2023 Cricket World Cup? (AP)HIGHLIGHTSIndia will host the 2023 World Cup after co-hosting it thrice alreadyEngland have hosted the most number of World CupsIndia will also join England in being the only teams to have solely hosted the tournamentThe 2023 ICC Cricket World Cup will be held in India from February 9 to March 26, 2023. It will be the 13th edition of the men’s Cricket World Cup and will also mark the first time that the tournament will be solely hosted by India. The country has previously hosted the tournament thrice (1987, 1996, 2011) but every time co-hosting it with its Asian neighbours.Similar to the World Cup 2019, the 2023 edition will also see the top-7 ranked sides plus the hosts (India) participating with the addition of 2 teams which would make it to the final of the 2023 Cricket World Cup Qualifiers.England have hosted the most number of World Cups – 5 in total (1975, 1979, 1983, 1999 and 2019). They are also the only country to have hosted the tournament alone in 1975 and 1979 as the 1983, 1999 and 2019 editions were co-hosted jointly with Ireland, Netherlands, Scotland and Wales.The 1987 World Cup remains the first edition to be hosted away from England in India and Pakistan. The subcontinent also hosted the 1996 edition before the 2011 World Cup which India won. However, Pakistan was stripped of its co-host status for the latter due to “uncertain security situation” prevailing in the country after the attack on Sri Lankan team bus in Lahore in 2009.Also Read | World Cup 2019: Move aside Vijay Shankar, Ravindra Jadeja is the 3D cricketer India needAlso Read | Lucky enough to get a direct hit: Martin Guptill on MS Dhoni run out in semi-finalFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAjay Tiwari Tags :Follow World Cup 2019Follow World Cup 2023
Tall Ships from around the world will sail into Halifax on Thursday, July 16 and more than 50 Nova Scotia youth will participate in Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge with SEASTAR. The SEASTAR Society is Tall Ships Nova Scotia 2009’s charity of choice. It gives youth the opportunity to experience Tall Ships through the eyes of traditional seafarers. The society began in 2007 and launched a pilot program with 20 participants in 2008. The Tall Ships Atlantic Challenge 2009 is an odyssey around the North Atlantic Ocean of more than 7,000 nautical miles. The theme of the challenge is international understanding and friendship. On Monday, July 20, ships head to Belfast, Ireland for the last leg of the race. More than 1,500 crew members are participating internationally. Participants are sponsored by youth-focused organizations. SEASTAR assists with costs and handles the logistics of the voyage. “I’ve only ever been on a tour of the Tall Ships and I’ve never sailed,” said Angela MacKenzie, a 15 year-old participant. “I think the learning experience of sailing a Tall Ship will be amazing.” MacKenzie will take part in a three-week journey on the Virginia Schooner vessel from New London to Halifax, and will continue on to Portland, Me. “Sail training is recognized as a powerful learning opportunity for helping young people build self-confidence,” said Dr. Sheila Brown, chair of The SEASTAR Society. “The lessons learned aboard a ship can be transferred to the trainee’s everyday life and help them achieve their goals.” SEASTAR will be a prominent part of the Tall Ships Nova Scotia 2009 event. There will be a SEASTAR booth at Sackville Landing on the Halifax Waterfront daily from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Proceeds from public pancake breakfasts on Friday, July 17, and Saturday, July 18, will be donated to the organization. On Saturday, July 18, SEASTAR youth will parade along Lower Water Street as part of the Tall Ships Nova Scotia 2009 Crew Parade. “Knowing that young Nova Scotians are gaining life and sailing experiences as part of this incredible international gathering makes the event even more special,” said Colin MacLean, president and CEO of Waterfront Development Corporation Limited. “Supporting the efforts of SEASTAR is very rewarding.” For more information about The SEASTAR Society e-mail [email protected] or call 902-405-7700. Trainees interested in the 2010 program should visit seastarsociety.ca in October 2009. For more information on Tall Ships Nova Scotia 2009 including event schedules and race updates, visit www.tallshipsnovascotia.com .
Even those Cambodian garment workers who were able to hold on to their jobs in the face of global economic challenges have not escaped the current downturn unscathed, a new survey led by the United Nations International Labour Organization (ILO) has found.Factory closures or cutbacks due to reduced orders forced many garment workers in the South-East Asian nation out of a job. One in 10 unemployed workers lost their positions two or more times last year, with most still looking for work.A study assessing 1,200 employed and 800 unemployed workers in the capital, Phnom Penh, finds that many with work have had their salaries slashed and now feel as though they do not have enough money to cover remittances and basic needs such as food, health care and transport.Many of those who lost their jobs but managed to find new ones are working under less favourable conditions, seeking assistance from trade unions for assistance on challenges such as asking for leave and late wage payments.Even though laid-off workers have looked for jobs in other garment factories, only one third of them succeed in finding work.Those looking outside the garment industry typically try to find jobs in the service sector to work as salespeople, tailors or food vendors.Even though many would like to enroll in training programmes, the cannot, and the families of some workers, both employed and unemployed, have sent additional family members – mostly women – to find work to deal with the loss in income.“The information we are gathering though the survey has been helpful in identifying action that can be taken by a range of stakeholders to help struggling workers, strengthen the garment sector, and better prepare the country to deal with future economic setbacks,” said Tuomo Poutiainen, chief technical adviser at ILO’s Better Factories Cambodia initiative.Based on the survey results, ILO is calling for employment policies promoting productive employment, enhancing social protection and working with employers to be compliant with labour laws.The study was commissioned by the ILO with the support of the UN Development Programme (UNDP), and was carried out by the Cambodia Institute of Development Study (CIDS). 25 March 2010Even those Cambodian garment workers who were able to hold on to their jobs in the face of global economic challenges have not escaped the current downturn unscathed, a new survey led by the United Nations International Labour Organization (ILO) has found.
“I condemn the killing of Mustafa Saeed,” Irina Bokova, Director-General of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), said in a statement.Mr. Saeed was killed while covering fighting in the Iraqi city of Mosul.His death is “a tragic reminder” of the responsibility shared by all to respect the civilian status of war reporters in keeping with the Geneva Conventions, Ms. Bokova said, stressing the need to protect the media as it facilitates the free flow of information, which takes on vital importance in times of crisis or conflict.On 13 August, Widad Hussein Ali, a freelance reporter and news website journalist, died in an incident of suspected murder in Dohuk, a city in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq.According to the UN Iraq, his body was found, hours after being abducted, unconscious on the side of a road with severe head injuries, bruising and other serious wounds that displayed strong signs of severe beatings and other forms of ill-treatment. Mr. Ali’s died in a hospital and police immediately launched a murder investigation.