Griezmann expects Simeone to stay at Atletico Madrid

first_img “He won’t go,” Griezmann began, “I spoke with him and in relation to what he said I’m almost 100 per cent sure he will stay with us. Simeone signed a new contract extension in May 2015 tieing him to Atletico until the end of the 2019/20 season, but a second loss in three seasons to bitter rivals Real on Europe’s greatest stage has led to doubts about whether he will remain in the Spanish capital. CEST 07/06/2016 Luke Salvin-Hughes “I’d be annoyed if he left because I need to continue learning from him. Antoine Griezmann is convinced that coach Diego Simeone will remain at Atletico Madrid despite indications that he would leave the club after the Champions League final loss on May 28. Saul Niguez, another young starlet who came on leaps and bounds last season – and scorer of the impressive solo goal against Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi-final first-leg on April 27 – is also in agreement with his French teammate. Upd. at 13:41 The Rojiblancos have seen a remarkable rise since the Argentinian’s arrival in December 2011 and have gone on to reach unthinkable heights, winning La Liga, the Copa del Rey and Europa League amongst other honours. “We all want him to stay,” he said. “I love working with him and if I’m still at Atletico it’s because I want to continue working with him and with the team.” “We’re all hurt [by the Champions League final loss], but I think he’ll stay with us because we still have hope.”last_img read more

Blow the whistle on your thoughts

first_imgWOULD you support an influx of female umpires at a local level? Last week we put this question to our…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription.last_img

Kids run with Thomas

first_imgA Gembrook children’s fun run in its 18th year will be held later this month with all funds going directly…[To read the rest of this story Subscribe or Login to the Gazette Access Pass] Thanks for reading the Pakenham Berwick Gazette. Subscribe or Login to read the rest of this content with the Gazette Digital Access Pass subscription. By Mitchell Clarke last_img

Palais finish fourth at Oceania 7s Champs

first_imgThe Palais finished fourth out of five countries.In their round 5 match this morning, they were thrashed by Fiji 43-0.The Palais later met Fiji again in the semi-final losing again 40-0.In the third and fourth play-off this afternoon, the Palais went down to Cook Islands 32-0.Fiji went on to beat Samoa 55-0 in the final to book their spot in the 2016 Olympic Games sevens tournament in Rio de Janeiro.Second placed Samoa and third placed Cook Islands have earned themselves invitations to the final qualification tournament for the Rio Olympics.last_img read more

Victories to Warriors and Diamonds

first_img0 2 In the men’s 50 over match, after finishing at 9/337, Sema Kamea (3/19) and Mahuru Dai (3/22) destroyed the Titans batting attack to have them all bowled out for 101 inside 33 overs.To the women’s T20 match, City Pharmacy PNG Lewas captain, Pauke Siaka guided the Diamonds home to reach the target of 136 with four wickets in hand and two balls to spare.The current standings after Tuesday, July 11: 1 2 2 4 Points Diamonds 0 1 Points 0 3 Played Men’s 50 Over DivisionTeam 2 0 2 2 0.60936 1 0 2 1 Played Warriors 0.425 Losses 2 0 0 Losses Draws Piranhas 2.34 Net RR 1 Net RR 1 Wins 3 Draws Women’s T20 DivisionTeam 1 -0.3178 2 2 2 Sharks -0.3421 Wins Titans -2.1117 0 Cheetahs 3last_img read more

LBF Elections May be Postponed Again

first_imgIf constraints facing outgoing president of the Liberia Basketball Federation, Rufus Anderson continue to make it difficult for required documents to be provided for club presidents as agreed on January 27, the suggested dates of February 17 and 18th for congress and elections may be postponed.When the agreement for the elections was reached for 17th and 18th this month, it was clearly stated that the outgoing administration would submit congress documents on February 2, fifteen days before the dates, to club presidents for consideration.“The documents were supposed to be ready for pick-up from February 2nd,” said a club president who expressed disappointment to the snail pace work of the outgoing administration, “and at least one year financial report should have been ready for us.”Congress documents, according to the agreement reached by consensus of the Ministry of Youth & Sports at the end of a heated discussions in consultation with the Liberia National Olympic Committee, should be deposited at the Ministry of Youth & Sports.A Youth & Sports source told the Daily Observer yesterday that outgoing President Anderson needed more time to get the documents together, due to what he described as “constraints,” though the source could not explain what the constraints are.“The outgoing administration needs time to get the documents done,” the source said, noting that the documents must reach club presidents at least two weeks before the congress and the elections, which were set on February 17th and 18th.He said club presidents would have to read and examine any document from the LBF and get their concerns ready for congress, at least in two weeks’ time.An LBF source told the Daily Observer that “we are working hard to get the every necessary document to all involved so that no one will have cause to complain.” He was however, silence on the delay, which in effects violates the agreement.By yesterday, February 5, a Ministry of Youth & Sports source confirmed that the administration is yet to submit the required documents. There is a high possibility, according to insiders that if the administration does not provide the documents on time, club presidents would set up an interim administration to lead to congress and elections.“We can even plead to the Ministry and the LNOC to simply get an Elections Commission to supervise an election,” a club president said.“In that case,” he said, “Anderson’s re-election bid will surely be in danger.” Anderson has led the LBF, sometimes known as Liberia Basketball Association (LBA), for the last four years, one of the years suffered the presence of the Ebola Virus Disease.He has been criticized for poor administration because, before the Ebola Virus Disease, leagues would end in the rainy season and league closures were held off, with his administration complaining of lack of money.“His administration has received from the Liberian government U$100,000.00 on a number of occasions,” said a club president who asked not to be named, “and basketball has not moved forward.”Meanwhile, club presidents yesterday in a meeting expressed interest in a new leadership that has the vision to move basketball forward.Since the administration could not provide required documents on February 2, club presidents, under the Basketball Presidents Association said even if the documents are submitted today, it would still require 15 days for review, which would push the elections and congress to new dates.Information received late last night suggested that ‘some’ documents may have been sent to the Ministry of Youth & Sport but there was no official confirmation.“If the administration could provide the documents on February 2,” a club president said, “plus fifteen days, means congress and elections could be held on the 17th and the 18th,” pointing out that as it stands now, new dates are possible.He said, “If the documents are received today, Friday, we will still need the required 15 days and it would mean the elections will get new dates.” So while the delay is described as ‘constraints’ outgoing president Anderson’s opponents consider it as his attempt to prove that his administration is unable to provide the documents required.And that is a situation that his opponents are too clever to use against his re-election bid.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

FIFA Admits Bribes Paid for Votes in Bids for 1998 and 2010 World Cups

first_imgWorld football’s battered and bruised governing body FIFA has started a fightback in the corruption crisis by attempting to recoup tens of millions of dollars in damages.FIFA, in its position as a ‘victimized institution’ robbed by crooked football officials, put in an official Request for Restitution to the US Attorney’s office in New York looking to reclaim over $28million for starters.They are chasing the return of the salaries, expenses and bonuses from those 41 ‘corrupt’ FIFA members and other football officials during their tenure in Zurich as well as the huge legal fees involved in cleaning up the organization.The figure could rise to over $100m as the investigations by the US and Swiss authorities plus FIFA’s own-in house probe uncover more wrong-doing.FIFA also wants compensation from those accused for the damages their illegal actions have caused to FIFA’s brand, reputation and business relationships.Those named in the documents include some of FIFA’s biggest rogues such as Jack Warner, Chuck Blazer and Jeffrey Webb plus Warner’s sons Daryan and Daryll.The Request papers also see FIFA admit for the first time that South Africa’s $10m payment to Warner and Blazer was a bribe for World Cup votes in 2010.Also enclosed in the file bound for the Brooklyn office of UA Attorney General Loretta Lynch are media reports of former CONCACAF President Webb, once regarded as Sepp Blatter’s heir apparent, staging a lavish champagne party for his wife’s 40th birthday at his Georgian mansion – bought with ill-gotten FIFA money also used to install a swimming pool – while on house arrest there.Legal sources close to FIFA are confident their move will be successful.FIFA president Gianni Infantino said: “The convicted defendants abused the positions of trust they held at FIFA and other international football organizations and caused serious and lasting damage to FIFA, its member associations and the football community.”The 22-page request states: “Over many years the Defendants grossly abused positions of trust to enrich themselves while causing significant harm to FIFA including huge financial loses.“The damage done by the defendants’ greed cannot be overstated. Their actions have deeply tarnished the FIFA brand. They did violence to FIFA’s principles.“They looked to ways to line their own pockets and siphon off opportunities. They sold the power of their positions taking bribes and kickbacks in return for selling valuable marketing rights.”In the most damning admission yet about the scale of FIFA’s corruption culture, the report said: ‘It is now apparent that multiple members of FIFA ExCo abused their positions and sold their votes on multiple occasions.’Accused are Warner and son Daryan plus Blazer who all ‘engineered’ a $10m payment from the South Africans. Warner, who is still fighting extradition to the US from his Trinidad home, also accepted a bribe for his 1998 World Cup vote from the Moroccan bid committee.And it’s claimed after Warner resigned all his football positions in 2011, Webb picked up where Warner left in taking bribes and kickbacks for World Cup qualifying TV rights .Infantino added: “The defendants diverted this money not just from FIFA, but from players, coaches and fans worldwide. These dollars were meant to build football fields, not mansions and pools; to buy football kits, not jewelry and cars and to fund youth players and coach development, not to underwrite lavish lifestyles for football and sports marketing executives.“When FIFA recovers this money, it will be directed back to its original purpose: for the benefit and development of international football.’”Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more

Minibus driver who fled the scene charged, remanded

first_imgSmyth Street fatal accidentElton Carter, the driver who allegedly fled the scene after crashing into a minibus on Durban and Smyth Streets, Georgetown last Sunday, was on Tuesday charged when he appeared before Magistrate Judy Latchman for causing death by dangerous driving.The charge stated that Carter on May 21, 2017, drove motor pickup GRR 8450 in a manner dangerous to the public thereby causing the death of Daniel Gostavos Richmond.Remanded: Minibus driver, Elton CarterDefence Attorney Stanley Moore seeking to establish that his client is not a flight risk related that Carter is a building contractor who has a fixed place of abode at Eccles, on the East Bank of Demerara.Moore contended, based on instructions received, that the accused is the owner of the vehicle and was not driving same at the time of the accident, rather contending that the vehicle was driven by a woman. The identity of the alleged female driver remains undisclosed.The lawyer requested that his client be released on bail in a reasonable sum pending trial, indicating that he (Carter) is anxious to vindicate himself and will attend every court sitting in the event that he is released. Moore disclosed that he represented the accused in an unrelated matter which was recently dismissed.Dead: Daniel RichmondPolice Prosecutor Shellon Payne posed a strong objection to bail being granted in light of three pending trafficking charges which Carter is to face shortly. According to Constable Persaud, the accused is an unlicensed driver and had failed to produce same to Police upon request. Moreover, the vehicle is allegedly uninsured. Also, the court heard that another passenger of the crashed minibus remains in a critical condition at the Georgetown Public Hospital.Payne told the Magistrate that the accused was non-cooperative during the course of the investigation, reportedly being reluctant to assist investigating officials. She related that after receiving reports, Police found the suspect at a hospital receiving treatment and had been checking in and out of various hospitals during the investigating period thereby hampering the investigation process. She related that the accused, a few days later, told officials that a female was the driver of the vehicle but failed to provide a name or present the alleged driver as required by the law.Bail was refused by Magistrate Latchman and the lawyer in a failed attempt to establish the ill state of his client, disclosed that Carter presently suffers from whiplash; raising further questions from the court.According to Health Line, whiplash occurs when a person’s head moves backward and then forward suddenly with great force. This injury is most common following a vehicular collision.Latchman readily inquired from the counsel how the accused had received the injuries and whether he was involved in the accident, apparently causing the lawyer to lose his balance. After stuttering for a second and quickly gaining his composure, Moore revealed that Carter was a passenger in the vehicle driven by ‘Jane Doe’; his response creating quite a buzz in the courtroom.Following a lengthy submission by the lawyer, the accused was remanded until June 1 for report as bail was refused by Magistrate Latchman.This publication previously reported that the accident occurred around 16:00h on May 21, when minibus BVV 5273 was proceeding along Durban Street heading to South, Georgetown, when it was struck from behind by the black pickup which was said to be speeding along Smyth Street headed North.Eyewitness stated that the pickup then hit a parked blue Allion before coming to a halt, while the minibus which was fully loaded toppled a number of times.Injured persons were pulled from the mangled minibus, some in an unconscious state and Richmond, the now dead man, was said to be “half in and half out of the minibus.” Following the accident, the injured driver of the vehicle reportedly fled the scene.Meanwhile, the deceased – a former cricket coach, umpire and Guyana Cricket Board scorer – leaves to mourn several family members. (Paula Gomes)last_img read more

Fruity condoms, with Asprilla’s blessing

first_img0Shares0000BOGOTA, September 25- Colombian footballer Faustino Asprilla, known for a bit of a wild streak, thinks you could do with some fruit-flavored condoms. And he’s not shy about his favorite.“Guava! I’ve always loved guava, because we had a tree outside my house growing up,” the former Colombian side, Parma and Newcastle star said with a smile Wednesday. “It’s going to be a line of flavored condoms. Some friends of mine in Medellin came up with the idea, and I thought it would be fun to help out,” he told Bogota’s Radio La FM.Asprilla, 44, did not say when the brand would be on the market.Though retired from soccer since 2009, Asprilla said the condom initiative was about responsibility, not his pocketbook. “The main goal for me, really, is to support a campaign to prevent AIDS and teen pregnancies, with a line of condoms” he said in remarks posted on Twitter. 0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Mayor orders city departments to avert 2010 Census undercount

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.“The differential represents missed political representation and financial resources lasting a full decade,” Villaraigosa said. To try to counter a similar undercount this time, the mayor instructed departments to designate a senior staff member to be part of a special committee to develop a program to make sure residents are counted. rick.orlov@dailynews.com (213) 978-0390 With millions of dollars at stake, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa on Friday issued an executive order to city departments to make sure there is not an undercount of residents in the 2010 Census. “It is not possible to overstate the critical importance of a complete and accurate count of every person who lives in our city in April 2010,” Villaraigosa said. “The census determines how many representatives speak for our city … but also determines our city’s share under most federal and state funding programs.” In the 2000 Census, Los Angeles had an undercount of nearly 1percent, the mayor said. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more